Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Ok, I know I haven't blogged in a while but... I needed to rant about this.
Has anyone paid attention to the leapfrog tag learner commercial??? Maybe because I am a teacher does this commercial irk me.
Basically the product advertised is supposed to help kids learn to read and instill in them a love for reading...but I have two issues with this....
#1 Do people not read to their children anymore?
I understand that some people don't have time to sit, etc.... but I also have an issue #2.
The commercial spurns a "scientific book" or "boring book" for the one that talks... and then a kid then rejects a the book saying that it doesn't talk. How does this encourage reading????

4 comments:

Chavelamomela said...

I hate leapfrog books...because I don't believe that batteries should be "enhancements" for books.

Books are books, and there are better written science books, math books, beekeepping books, are good when the person who writes them is passionate about the topic and not just trying to impart info in a boring fashion.

RaggedyMom said...

The ads remind me of a video toy they were marketing a while back - basically, the video interacts with a stuffed talking doll while your child basically watches.

I've found it true what they say - when the toy does less, the child does more. Educational gizmos and noisy toys are very low on my list.

Gmar tov!

Moo G said...

I happen to agree with you and that particular commercial has bothered me as well. i just don't like the whole thing. Including the part where the guys asks why the kids are smarter and we are to think it's because of the electronic books. i am glad to say we don't have any of those books in our house and we have shelves and shelves of good old fashioned books that WE read! :) by the way, i didn't know you blog until i saw that post on facebook. fun!! Shana Tova! - Anna-Aliza

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. That commercial aggravates me. You nailed it.